With the high cost of gasoline nowadays, most new drivers think twice of getting car insurance. Driving without any car insurance is a very big risk. Most drivers might think that car insurance is way too expensive, but in the long run it may save you a lot of money. Take for instance this example, if you are in a car accident it may cost you thrice the amount you might have paid for a car insurance to cover for hospitalization and for buying yet another car. Plus without car insurance you will be paying police fines as well as paying for suspended licenses. A total of 47 states require some kind of insurance for your car. It would be wise to know the basic law covering car insurance.
Here are ten tips you can refer to on how you can get the best deal on car insurance. 1. Know the different types of car insurance policy The first thing to know in buying car insurance is to understand the different policies they offer. Choose a policy or policies that would best suit your needs. Liability – This policy covers physical injuries and damages to property.
This includes paying for hospitalization and other medical expenses. Damage to property includes vehicles and other tangible property that might have been damaged during the accident. Liability also includes expenses for court proceedings if the vehicular accident requires one. Collision – This policy covers any damages if your vehicle is crashed to another vehicle, lamp posts, house or any another objects. Comprehensive – This policy covers damages caused by natural disaster like flood, storm, hail or wind. This also includes damages by theft or vandalism. Medical Coverage – Medical expenses are covered by this policy not considering if the cause is a vehicular accident or not.
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – A personal insurance of the driver. This policy covers for medical expenses and treatment caused by an auto incident. Uninsured Motorist – If by chance you are hit by an uninsured driver, this policy covers the damages done to your vehicle. Underinsured Motorist – This policy will cover the remaining cost for repairing your damaged car if ever the incident is caused by an insured driver with inadequate liability insurance. Rental Reimbursement – In case of a damaged car due to a vehicular accident, this policy will give a daily allowance for rental fee.
- Know your credit rating: In most states, credit rating has always been the number one factor affecting car insurance rates. Be sure you have a copy of your credit report and check its accuracy and immediately contest any erroneous information.
- Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) You can get a copy of your Motor Vehicle Report in your respective Department of Driver Services or Department of Public Safety in your state. A three year record may cost you 5$ and a seven year record would cost you 7$. Like credit reports, verify that all information are correct.
- Accident Reports you can get a copy of your Motor Vehicle Accident Report from the local police department. It may take around six weeks before you can receive the detailed report. You might need to pay a higher car insurance rate if you have reported accidents within the last eighteen months.
- Scout for a good insurance package there are some car insurance companies that are offering multi-vehicle discounts. You would get a lower rate if you have two or more vehicles that you want to get insured. Also, you can get a good deal from one company that packages all their insurance policies, including home and health insurance.
- Check out various discounts Most insurance company offers a discount to drivers over 55 years of age. It always pays to be a good student; you can get a student discount if you have a3.0 point average or higher.
- Obtain a Driving Safety Certificate It is common for car insurance companies to give certain discounts to those who finish a safety driving course with a very good standing. 8. Check the model of your car Insurance rates can be different from vehicle to vehicle. A fancy car will obviously have a higher rate than an older model. 9. Take advantage of added features be sure you are receiving lower rates for safety and security features like antilock brakes and air bags. 10. How much are you willing to pay Choose the option where you can handle the down payment and the monthly paying scheme.